[vdr] Re: Problems with mplayer / encoding cut recordings...

Also sprach Ari Huttunen zu "26.11.2003 09:47" Anno Domini:
> Patrick Cernko wrote:
>>

>> Plays fine in xine? I never ever had a recording that played "fine", I
>> was lucky if anyone I tested played at least (with distortions!). What
>> version of xine are you using?
>>

> For me xine works better than mplayer. I converted a Stargate episode
> with ffmpeg to an AVI with MPEG-4 and MP3, and mplayer has *lousy*
> voice sync at all times. With xine there are no voice sync problems, but
> there's some garbage on the left edge, about 8 pixel squares, which
> appear to reflect what's on the right edge of the video. Go figure,
> it's probably because I cut out some of the video from left, right and top
> when encoding, so it's no longer exactly PAL-sized.
> In any case that AVI plays just perfectly on Windows with divx player
> or divx decoder in MS media player, so I just need to reboot..
>
> Ari

Ah, you mean, playing the transcoded AVI in xine works fine. I meant
playing the *.vdr files. But I just tested it with my new (now compiling
and working again) CVS-xine. It plays the *.vdr files fine now, as I
recognized in a short test.

The garbage you mentioned may come from croping to a resolution, which
is not divisible by 8 (in height and width). As the DivX-Codec is based
on 8x8-Pixel-Macroblocks, it runs into trouble feeding it with something
like 764x576 or 768x570. Just make sure, to expand your crop-area to the
next multiply of 8 in width and height. The other possibility is, that
the imput already is garbaged. I noticed that on different programs from
time to time. As the picture is croped a bit by the TV-Overscan, this is
not visible on TV but of course on a Desktop-Player, which does not
normally crop by overscan!

CU
--
Patrick Cernko | mailto:errror@errror.de | http://www.errror.de
Quote of the Week: "/vmlinuz does not exist.