[vdr] Re: vdr streaming to standalone media player

Gavin Hamill <gdh@acentral.co.uk> writes:

>> In the mean time you can shut down vdr
> Ah let me stop you right there...  VDR is the means by which the family watch
> all TV at the moment, so I wouldn't get a very warm reception if I suggested
> that...

:-)

> Besides, neither dvbtune or dvbstream seem to successfully tune cards with the
> most recent 2.6 in-kernel drivers

last time I tried i was able to use dvbstream to stream off my dvb
box. And able to use dvbtune to scan transponders for channels.
(using 2.6.9 + cvs head dvb-kernel)

Since I depend on the streamdev plugin and VTP, i should admit I've
considered losing features and using dvbstream instead of vdr. I have
2 dvb-s cards and I can't zap between the channels from one card to
channels on the other one.
I've been thinking of a python or perl dvbstream frontend. In my case
I would run 2 dvbstream processes. Mplayer+livepausing_patch+bmovl2
would allow the live pause + osd. freevo has already made big steps
in that way. I haven't developped in C for years, it would be easier
for me to "script" this rather than understanding both vdr and
streamdev. (or maybe i'll decide to learn how to develop using unix
systems & libraries as a new year's resolution) :)

Merry Xmas !