[vdr] Re: Error handling vs. user friendliness.

Rainer Zocholl wrote:
lists@magoa.net(Sascha Volkenandt)  03.01.05 13:54

Am Montag, 3. Januar 2005 12:26 schrieb Jürgen Schmitz:

Josef Wolf wrote:

- VDR does an "emergency exit" when it fails to tune to a channel.
 This renders VDR to be completely unusable as long as at least
 one bad channel entry exists.  A bad LNB, a broken cable or a
 bird in front of one of the LNBs would make VDR unusable, too.
 Why not just ignore (or give a warning) on bad entreis?

- VDR restarts continously when there is no signal in one of the
available frontends.  Therefore you can't put the box to a
different location just to watch some recordings.  You will need to
take the dish along, although you don't want to watch live TV.
Yea, this two are really bad. With the old VHS I could still watch a
recording if the satellite signal was gone because of bad weather.
Ok, there may be reasons for this to reset the dvb drivers, however,
if the reset didn't change anything there is no need for another
reset.

IMHO that only applies if the frontend is currently used (i.e.
recording). In that case I would EXPECT VDR to at least "do" something
to rescue my recording.

If you have only one active timer...

I had it at least once, that VDR had a problem to tune to a second channel and so it restarts every 30sec.
The other 2 recordings were broken that way too, as they had gaps every 30sec...
That's not what i expect.

With no recording going on I can watch a replay without interruption,
even when the reception is badly broken due to a thunderstorm etc...

Rainer
If everything is so stable for you, why don't you just completely disable the
"emergency exit"?

Just comment out this sequence in VDR/vdr.c:

        // Handle emergency exits:
        if (cThread::EmergencyExit()) {
           esyslog("emergency exit requested - shutting down");
           break;
           }

Oh, and don't complain if it doesn't do an emergency exit when one would
have helped ;-)

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index