[vdr] Re: What about UPnP AV ?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Gavin Hamill wrote:

>On Thursday 13 January 2005 10:11, Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>> At the moment there is stuff missing. There is standardization work
>> going on for handling timers, but nothing is yet finalized. Recordings can
>> be viewed just like and other videos. I've seen nothing related to editing
>> (but I tend to skip much of the stuff on the UPnP mailing lists) and EPG
>> is currently not handled properly. TV broadcasting with all that it brings
>> along wasn't considered for the first versions of the UPnP AV standards as
>> far as I can see, it all has been added later.
>
>Just like everything else then =) I think of the DVB spec with 'bolt ons' like
>AC3 audio stuffed in private streams, and similar hacks =)
>
>So for the moment as a 'VDR Client' it might be best to leave UPnP on the long
>finger for a while, I think =)

Well, as a UPnP server it could work quite nicely. Such a beast shares
content to other renderers on the network. And a plugin could also
perform the tasks of a control point just fine.

--
                 "Students?" barked the Archchancellor.
    "Yes, Master. You know? They're the thinner ones with the pale faces?

Home | Main Index | Thread Index