[vdr] Re: What about UPnP AV ?

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Gavin Hamill wrote:

On Thursday 13 January 2005 10:11, Jan Ekholm wrote:

At the moment there is stuff missing. There is standardization work
going on for handling timers, but nothing is yet finalized. Recordings can
be viewed just like and other videos. I've seen nothing related to editing
(but I tend to skip much of the stuff on the UPnP mailing lists) and EPG
is currently not handled properly. TV broadcasting with all that it brings
along wasn't considered for the first versions of the UPnP AV standards as
far as I can see, it all has been added later.
Just like everything else then =) I think of the DVB spec with 'bolt ons' like
AC3 audio stuffed in private streams, and similar hacks =)

So for the moment as a 'VDR Client' it might be best to leave UPnP on the long
finger for a while, I think =)

Well, as a UPnP server it could work quite nicely. Such a beast shares
content to other renderers on the network. And a plugin could also
perform the tasks of a control point just fine.

For all who donīt know UPnP - I recently tested it with a D-Link on windows: You simply set up the network parameters of you UPnP client, and then, the client automatically finds files located on UPnP servers for playback (you can e.g. use the example Media Server from the UPnP developer package or e.g. the upcoming Cyberlink PowerCinema).
With VDR as UPnP server this would mean: Buy a UPnP client, and it could automatically be used as VDR streaming client without special additionally configuration - independent from the hardware manufacturer of the client. In VDR world this would mean: Simply install the "streamdev UPnP"-Plugin and all UPnP compatible clients would be able to play the records - no more specialized MediaMVP plugin etc. Nevertheless, one problem could be the recording format as current streaming clients donīt have a TS/PES demuxer, so they donīt support basically VDR or TS files, just MPG.

Unfortunately, the D-Link seems to be really the only UPnP compatible device (maybe also the Philips that I donīt know) on the market, all other clients like MediaMVP, Pinnacle ShowCenter donīt support it.
On the other hand: IMHO UPnP is the future and a must for streaming clients as consumers donīt want to buy proprietary streaming clients with proprietary protocols.

With kind regards

Joerg

Home | Main Index | Thread Index