Gentoo Linux is a special kind of Linux distribution. Nearly every software application is build and optimized for your system. Extreme performance, configurability and a first-class user and developer community are the quality marks of Gentoo.
Thanks to the Portage system, Gentoo is well-suited as
- secure server
- development system
- professional workstation
- gaming system
- embedded system
- what ever you like...
This is the reason Gentoo is called a metadistribution.
Assets and drawbacks
+ Support for x86-, PowerPC-, UltraSparc- and Alpha
+ Live-CD based installation for x86 und PowerPC
+ Several optimised Linux kernels (2.4.xx-gs, 2.6.xx)
+ Modern development system (glibc 2.x, gcc 3.x.x)
+ Great choice of file systems (ReiserFS, XFS, ext3, EVMS, LVM, ...)
+ Great hardware support (NVIDIA, Creative Labs Live! und Audigy)
+ Modular OpenGL- and Compiler-Sub-System
+ Over 4000 modern and up-to-date software packages
+ Extended Portage capabilities
- Linux knowledge required
- Basic system
- Install VDR ebuilds from gentoo.de
- Install DVB-driver
- Install LIRC
- First installation of VDR
- The configuration files of VDR
- HOWTO VDR @ gentoo-wiki.com
- How to install a plugin
- How to update all plugins at once
- Tips for some plugins:
- How can i bring in my own Ebuilds to gentoo.de?
- How to test own Ebuilds?
- The VDR Ebuild development environment
- VDR Ebuild namespace
- All options for VDR (stable)
- All options for VDR (development)