[linux-dvb] cvs/dvb-kernel on vl2-prepatched kernel 2.4

Gerd Knorr schrieb:
 (3) starting with 2.4.19 it is possible to build (v4l2) drivers using
     register method #2 fully modular without patching the kernel and
     without replacing videodev.o.  That should also work for dvb-kernel.

You can either patch your kernel to have the same infrastructure as
2.5 or you can build the V4L2 videodev.o module outside the kernel
(like the "build-2.4" stuff does)

videodev.o infrastructure is already present in 2.4.19+ (videodev2.h
isn't through ...).

These days the v4l2 tarball from bytesex.org contains the v4l2-common
and v4l1-compat modules only (and also a copy of the videodev2.h
header file ...).
actually, the mdk 9.1 kernel has
- videodev2.h
- all compat modules

It seems the copies in cvs/dvb-kernel/build-2.4 are redundant,
they do exist in the source tarball of 2.4.21-0.13mdk! Their
modules are preinstalled in the distro layout on my disk.

What do you think, should it be possible to
compile dvb-kernel drivers for linux >= 2.4.19 _without_
replacing some of the original modules?

Yes.

So, I want to try that, but where to start. The traditional
build-2.4/Makefile contains the extra modules that should
better _not_ be installed (or even compiled?). There is
another method that patches some 2.5 kernel, which I do not
want to do either. None of the other Makefiles contains an
install target. So...where shall I start with? Just modify
the build-2.4/Makefile?

anyone got a hint? Yes, I like to put that up again
as a rpm that can be installed by mdk user xy, so I want
to have it as straight as possible...
-- guido                                  http://google.de/search?q=guidod
GCS/E/S/P C++/++++$ ULHS L++w- N++@ d(+-) s+a- r+@>+++ y++ 5++X- (geekcode)