[linux-dvb] Re: scantv hangs

Hello Michael,

fyi: the list has reply-to set to the sender, so you sent your answer to me personally only. I took this discussion back to the mailing list, please use "reply to all" next time, so that user can look up stuff in the mailing list archives.

If it was your intention to continue this discussion in private (I did not see anything personal in the mail, though) I apologize in advance.

Running the analog module with "xawtv" and "vdr" in parallel simply does
not work, because access to the tuner is not exclusive, ie. tuning in
"xawtv" and "vdr" will kill each others settings. Of course this is a
bug and should be fixed.

Well, I have to disagree .. in some sense. I use xawtv as a frontend to vdr.
This works fine. Using CVS-dvb-driver I can switch from dvb to television (analog) an back within xawtv.
In that case (ie. switching to analog tv) "vdr" should go into some "suspend mode" (I don't know if something like this exists) or at least free the frontend device, so that "vdr" (or some plugin) does not tune to another frequency accidently.

This works but I have to find the analog
channels by interupting scantv ;-( yes, quiet buggy.
As I already said, "scantv" only helps you to find an initial configuration. But you can do all this manually in "xawtv", too.

There is no usable scenario where you would want to run both programs in
parallel anyway IMHO.

There are channels I receive only by dvb or analog. Thus IMHO it's convenient
to use both at the same time.
Ok, I admit that I wasn't very precise: no usable scenario means the usual "vdr" user which has the tv connected to the video output of the card. Because the analog stuff is completely separated from this ouput, it's completely useless, unless you use your monitor with "xawtv" to watch tv.

analogtv as a plugin to vdr seems to be a
solution. I don't know how far it's integrated, do you know?
In theory it should work, but of course not if you plan to still use "vdr" in conjunction with "xawtv" on your monitor. "analogtv" captures live-tv from the analog input (so no overlay video with "xawtv" is possible any more) compresses it to mpeg and uses the playback facilities of the card to show it.

The main problem that I described above exists here, too: "analogtv" needs to tune the tuner, while "vdr" already has it open via the frontend device. It currently works, but only because both don't know of each other.

Thanks.
Michael
To be honest, I personally think that the analog module of the dvb-c cards isn't really usable for a "real" tv experience, because it was simply glued to the dvb hardware, nobody really cared to make it really usable completely.

It sucks that imporantant programs are not available digitally on cable but fixing it on the software side (ie. encode to mpeg1 in realtime via "analogtv") contradicts the idea that the dvb cards with mpeg decoder can be used on systems with small processors, too.

CU
Michael.