[linux-dvb] Re: FF cards alter PTS'?

> Well, as I always keep saying: just go ahead and write a plugin that
> implements an alternate output device, and you won't have to use a full
> featured DVB card any more. I get the feeling that you expect ME to do
this,
> but as long as my full featured DVB-S cards work as good as they do, I
> don't see the need for this. I'll rather spend my time on implementing
> general new features into VDR.

Klaus, I completely agree.  I am extremely grateful for all the work you and
others have done making VDR.  It certainly is the benchmark that all other
DVB software should be judged against at the moment.  There is practically
nothing under windows which is even stable enough to record a couple of
programs, and there are few competing programs under linux even

I think one of the most promising competitors at the moment is MythTv.  This
has very similar functionality to VDR, however, it focuses more directly on
the eye candy and demands a framebuffer output type device (although it can
now work with a PVR350 apparently for accelerated TV type output).  DVI
output is also extremely handy for people who have a plasma set, and want
something potentially higher quality even than the DVB full featured output
(which is VERY good!)

Whilst there might appear to be little reason for you to do so, I would
appeal for interested developers to take a look at MythTv cvs.  The DVB
support is less advanced than VDR, and in particular there are a few rough
edges, such as problematic av-sync.  I'm sure someone of Klaus' capabilities
could polish these off without even breaking a sweat!

Having a second competitor project would be a useful way to cross fertilise
ideas.

In any case, thanks so much for all your work on this.  It's very much
appreciated.

Thanks and good luck