[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 19:17:01 +0100, Johannes Stezenbach wrote:

> I hope you will reconsider if someone actually goes through all the
> trouble of defining and implementing a different "standard" format
> that you can conveniently just use in VDR.

Now that XML exists, there shouldn't be any need to invent yet another
complex data file format.  I present you the way SWelcom (the tech
arm for SanomaWSOY, who own HelsinkiTV) encodes their cable information:

http://dvb.swelcom.fi/si.xml

It's rather trivial to produce a VDR-type listing from this info,
I did this as a quick-and-dirty experiment with Perl, but using the
XML parser library is just as simple from C or C++:

http://eetis.co.jyu.fi/dvb/

(Unfortunately, there's something a bit wonky about the XML data they
generate, it seems that the complete info for multiplex 4 (CINEMA1/2/3
and FASHION channels) never gets there... dunno why?)

I would suggest that using a XML config file is the proper way to proceed.

Easily expandable syntax, human-editable if required, the syntax tree
can be rewritten back out to a file by the software if needed.
--
   /* * * Otto J. Makela <om@iki.fi> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * */
  /* Phone: +358 40 765 5772, FAX: +358 40 7860457, ICBM: 60N 25E */