[linux-dvb] Re: channels.conf syntax?

> > dont worry it's fast to convert even a 1MB of transponder
> > data in XML into the XML channels cubset in less than a second!
>
> Unfortunately the channels.conf format is probably a bit too kludgy
> to be fully automatically parsed, specially where it comes to getting
> the ppid code.

Exactly, that's why I think channels.conf has to be XML-ized, at least
a minimum XML-ization to become a valid XML document.

> I know about the existance of xslt, but haven't had time to look into it.

XSLT is for XML the core engine that makes mirracles happen. XSLT enables any
XML to easily be transformed into any other XML format! XSLT is like a shell
running XSL scripts. The XSL script is actually a special form of XML
document, and of course, it can even transform itself!

It's built-in in mozilla 1.0.0 (and other browsers), everyone can experiment
with it to generate e.g. valid XHTML pages. Web is full of small examples of
XML_2=XSL(XML_1) coversion tutorials, couple of lines each. For me it wasn't too
difficult to get familiar with XSLT

> We'd really need a DTD for dvb data, though.  Is there one as of yet,
> all I've been able to find was stuff for MHP XML?
>
> http://xml.coverpages.org/DVB-HTML-v10-DTD.html
> http://www.evolt.org/article/DVB_HTML_a_new_standard_Part_1/25/33143/?

WOW, there's already a DTD :)!! Excellent findings, really

> Then there's XMLTV, which I feel would be a worthy thing to be able
> to support, since not all channels have proper epg listings:
>
> http://xmltv.sourceforge.net/

They have already features we cannot dream of with VDR, like the database
with geographic local exstraction possibility (though not too well
organized, but obviously functional). Plus they defined format to carry
the schedule of programmes, so application can automatically know when to
start/stop recording things

I think that impressive features lead to sophisticated data format.
(and they are only dealing with plain TV, we yet have to face complexity of DVB!!)

the good database structure is the key to get integrated media
application do the simple-to-use record and watch

Emard