[linux-dvb] Re: Do dvb drivers support Nagravision CA?

On Friday 16 July 2004 17:28, Graham Leggett wrote:
> > i recommend you buying legal cam hw extensions to your dvb, vdr and
> > others should support it.
>
> But that's what I meant.
>
> I can go into the marketplace, and buy a DVB card with a CAM extension.
> I can buy a Nagravision CAM containing all their proprietry algorithms,
> plug it into the DVB card along with any relevant smartcard giving me
> legal access to the content.
>
> My question is: once I have bought the above hardware and CA module, and
> one I have obtained permission from the content provider to do this,
> will the Linux DVB drivers be able to handle content from this setup?

Yes, I've used the Hauppauge Nexus-S with a Conax CAM for ages, and it's
almost rock solid, and I don't see how using a Nagravision CAM should be
different. I get a ARM crash once every few months or so, that I have not
been able to track down, but since the workaround is as simple as reloading
the modules, I'm not very worried about it.

Be aware of budget cards that have CI interface on them, as it's in early
development (and only nova cards is supported?), and not as stable as the
Nexus-S, but a lot cheaper if you are willing to take a chance and join
development of the budget-ci driver.

What you should look out for tho, is providers that does not allow selling a
subscription and/or CAM without the serial number of a STB they have
approved.

Kenneth

Home | Main Index | Thread Index