[vdr] Re: vdr is a multimedia machine...why...

Am Dienstag, 6. August 2002 21:12 schrieben Sie:
> > > Yes, i also thought of this ! But i think the better way would be using
> > > a VGA card with TV-Out (as Olivier Jacques did) and also using this one
> > > as primay DVB device !
> >
> > I had suggested that before and I was informed that most
> > graphics cards with TV out have a much worse picture
> > quality than the DVB-S card.
> >
> > I accept this as the truth, but I guess the emphasis lies
> > on "most" in the above sentence. In other words, all we
> > need to do is choose a graphics card that is not amon those
> > "most" which have poor TV out picture quality.
>
> I guess "most" means those cards being not capable of displaying Xx576
> resolution - because then you use 800x600 or 640x480 vga resolutions and
> these get squeezed (ugly scaled) to the 576 scanlines :-(
> So all we need to find is a card being capable of 576 scanlines interlaced
> @50Hz !
> As far as i understand
> http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~pfeffer/tvout/
> and
> http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
> every vga card should be able to do this ... Although i haven't tried this
> yet - but after my vacation i will do ...
>
> > Of course, the other alternative is to use a beamer or
> > monitor that is capable of displaying SVGA. Might be
> > cheaper than most TV sets anyway...
>
> I'm afraid beamers are too expensive, too loud, have too much temperature
> output and too explensive light bulbs for everyday use in living room !???
> Correct me if i'm wrong ...
>
> Martin

So I did a quick test right now. The DVB provide a v4l-Device ( Watched a few
frames with xawtv, same output as on tv ( played divx over Siemens dvb-s) So
Mpeg Decoding seems to could be done by the DVB-s. A Overview on
Graphic-adapters can be found on linuxtv.org, so it is may be possible to use
a well supported card listed there (seems to be ati rage to) and use it with
that vga -> Scart. Anyone knows there to buy such an adapter complete ? I
dont really good on (löten?) that cable ;o). But seems to be a real
alternative for the maindisplay of VDR (and maybe over Xdirectfb it is
possible to use a lot of other things quite easy inside vdr? Email-client
(not really ;o)) Answeringmachine, Faxdisplayer, gamestation or other things
too ?)

Greets

Steffe

Computer are like air conditioners: They stop working properly if you open
windows!
-------------------             http://ixi.thepenguin.de