[vdr] Re: vdr is a multimedia machine...why...

> > Yes, i also thought of this ! But i think the better way would be using a
> > VGA card with TV-Out (as Olivier Jacques did) and also using this one as
> > primay DVB device !
>
> I had suggested that before and I was informed that most
> graphics cards with TV out have a much worse picture
> quality than the DVB-S card.
>
> I accept this as the truth, but I guess the emphasis lies
> on "most" in the above sentence. In other words, all we
> need to do is choose a graphics card that is not amon those
> "most" which have poor TV out picture quality.
I guess "most" means those cards being not capable of displaying Xx576
resolution - because then you use 800x600 or 640x480 vga resolutions and
these get squeezed (ugly scaled) to the 576 scanlines :-(
So all we need to find is a card being capable of 576 scanlines interlaced
@50Hz !
As far as i understand
http://www.unix-ag.uni-kl.de/~pfeffer/tvout/
and
http://www.sput.nl/hardware/tv-x.html
every vga card should be able to do this ... Although i haven't tried this yet
- but after my vacation i will do ...

> Of course, the other alternative is to use a beamer or
> monitor that is capable of displaying SVGA. Might be
> cheaper than most TV sets anyway...
I'm afraid beamers are too expensive, too loud, have too much temperature
output and too explensive light bulbs for everyday use in living room !???
Correct me if i'm wrong ...

Martin

Home | Main Index | Thread Index