[vdr] Re: vdr is a multimedia machine...why...

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 04:50, Steffen Barszus wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 6. August 2002 20:57 schrieben Sie:
> > Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, i also thought of this ! But i think the better way would be using a
> > > VGA card with TV-Out (as Olivier Jacques did) and also using this one as
> > > primay DVB device !
> >
> > I had suggested that before and I was informed that most
> > graphics cards with TV out have a much worse picture
> > quality than the DVB-S card.
> >
> > I accept this as the truth, but I guess the emphasis lies
> > on "most" in the above sentence. In other words, all we
> > need to do is choose a graphics card that is not amon those
> > "most" which have poor TV out picture quality.
> >
> > Of course, the other alternative is to use a beamer or
> > monitor that is capable of displaying SVGA. Might be
> > cheaper than most TV sets anyway...
> >
> > Carsten.
>
> An older  matrox should do this perfectly, but they are hard to get.
> anotherone I heard that should be good and in opposite to the matrox cheap
> too, are ati-rage128(think of gatos-driver if I'm right) , but can't give a
> state on it , while didn't have one ever. I personally own a nvidia GF2MX and
> in comparison to the tv-out of the dvb-s they looks really poor. Such one I
> wont use for main display of vdr. Another Pro to use a VGA as main-display
> would be playin divx, because the realtime-encoding to mpeg isn't needed
> then. So you can have a 500Mhz CPU in your vdr and watch divx. For that
> mpeg-decoding this cpu is more than enough. Maybe the dvb-s/vdr  have a
> video-interface which can be displayed directly on the VGA. Im quite new to
> the whole vdr-stuff, and test a lot on what is possible and what not.
> Hope I could help a littlebit.

I don't think any vga out card is going to give as good a tv out as a
DVB-S card.

Another option I saw mentioned on another list somewhere:  apparently
there are RS232 controlled video switches, that will switch between two
TV sources.  So if you feed one input from the DVB card, one from the
VGA card, you could then switch between them from within VDR.