[vdr] Re: vdr is a multimedia machine...why...

> > An older  matrox should do this perfectly, but they are hard to get.
> > anotherone I heard that should be good and in opposite to the matrox
> > cheap too, are ati-rage128(think of gatos-driver if I'm right) , but
> > can't give a state on it , while didn't have one ever. I personally own a
> > nvidia GF2MX and in comparison to the tv-out of the dvb-s they looks
> > really poor. Such one I wont use for main display of vdr. Another Pro to
> > use a VGA as main-display would be playin divx, because the
> > realtime-encoding to mpeg isn't needed then. So you can have a 500Mhz CPU
> > in your vdr and watch divx. For that mpeg-decoding this cpu is more than
> > enough.
>
> What about MPEG1/2-decoding with hardware-support? Is there no
> linux-driver for graphic-cards which does it? The NVIDIA driver does up
>
> >from the GF2-cards, but NVIDIA never answered when I asked them for
>
> implementation specs ...
>
> Rene

Mpeg2decoding with graphicadapters can't be done like with the DVb. I don't
think there isn't any card out there, that you can feed with mpeg2, only
helping with some operations can be done by the GPU (IMHO). This is called
under Linux the xv-extension, so this is supported for nvidias, some ATIs,
and I think ??matrox??.
If I#m wrong at this, please flame me ;o)

greets

steffen

Computer are like air conditioners: They stop working properly if you open
windows!
-------------------             http://ixi.thepenguin.de