[vdr] Re: vdr is a multimedia machine...why...

Am Die, 2002-08-06 um 19.20 schrieb Steffen Barszus:
> Am Dienstag, 6. August 2002 20:57 schrieben Sie:
> > Martin Hoffmann wrote:
> >
> > > Yes, i also thought of this ! But i think the better way would be using a
> > > VGA card with TV-Out (as Olivier Jacques did) and also using this one as
> > > primay DVB device !
> >
> > I had suggested that before and I was informed that most
> > graphics cards with TV out have a much worse picture
> > quality than the DVB-S card.
> >
> > I accept this as the truth, but I guess the emphasis lies
> > on "most" in the above sentence. In other words, all we
> > need to do is choose a graphics card that is not amon those
> > "most" which have poor TV out picture quality.
> >
> > Of course, the other alternative is to use a beamer or
> > monitor that is capable of displaying SVGA. Might be
> > cheaper than most TV sets anyway...
> >
> > Carsten.
>
> An older  matrox should do this perfectly, but they are hard to get.
> anotherone I heard that should be good and in opposite to the matrox cheap
> too, are ati-rage128(think of gatos-driver if I'm right) , but can't give a
> state on it , while didn't have one ever. I personally own a nvidia GF2MX and
> in comparison to the tv-out of the dvb-s they looks really poor. Such one I
> wont use for main display of vdr. Another Pro to use a VGA as main-display
> would be playin divx, because the realtime-encoding to mpeg isn't needed
> then. So you can have a 500Mhz CPU in your vdr and watch divx. For that
> mpeg-decoding this cpu is more than enough.

What about MPEG1/2-decoding with hardware-support? Is there no
linux-driver for graphic-cards which does it? The NVIDIA driver does up
from the GF2-cards, but NVIDIA never answered when I asked them for
implementation specs ...

Rene

Home | Main Index | Thread Index