[vdr] Re: "Bug" in cutting function of VDR

Matthias Raus wrote:

> Martin Hoffmann schrieb:
>
> >>Hi Klaus,
> >>
> >>I hope you understand what I'm gonna try to explain to you now:
> >>Yesterday, I recorded a movie, it is about 1 hour and 30 min long. My
> >>intention is now to burn this movie on 2 SVCDs. With the cutting
> >>functions of VDR, I cut the first 45 min out of the film and got a
> >>separate file in the OSD with % as prefix. Now, I cut the second 45 min
> >>out of the film, thinking VDR would write them into a different file.
> >>Instead, the first file was deleted and the second one stored under the
> >>same name, which is not very practical if you want to cut a recording
> >>into several pieces. Did I do s.th. wrong, or is there any intention
> >>behind this?
> >>
> >>Hope you comprehend my "newbie"-language
> >>
> >>Matthias
> >>

> >I guess this is intentional !
> >VDR thinks that you want to correct your first cutting and so it deletes the
> >first "try" !
> >

> Hi Martin,
>
> I think your cutting solution is not bad, but I want to do it completely
> via my IR-Control.
> Your argument that VDR tries to delete a mistake is not very good, as
> this mistake could easily be deleted manually. So, I would suggest for
> VDR to index the cut files instead of overwriting them. I would also be
> interested about Klaus' opinion to this...
>
> Matthias

I'm open to suggestions here. I made it so that the edited file is overwritten
because I thought that one would want to correct the editing marks and try again.
There's no real reason why it couldn't just add an index to the resulting
recordings. There should, though, be a setup option to control this - otherwise
users who are used to the current behaviour might end up with a full disk...

Klaus