[vdr] Re: Mux A / Channel 5 UKDVB-TbrokenwithVDR,dvbstream works...

At 21:55 09/01/2003, Klaus wrote:
You could replace the code in cDvbDevice::GetTSPacket() so that it reads
one TS packet from your file at eavery call and copies it to the
Data pointer. The start a recording from a channel that has the PIDs
your data file uses.
OK latest findings on out mysterious C5 DVB-T stream (and probably the ones in Finnland):

After spending quite a few hours of debugging and testing today I'm 100% certain that something is up with the
ts->pes converter [possible the handling of PRIVATE_STREAM1 ?].

I did the follwing to test it:

- Made a fifo called /dev/ost/vdrr1
- changed dvbdevice.c to read from vdrr1
- Recorded some files with dvbstream as TS. Stopped recording.
- Fed them to the fifo with cat (it's waiting for another program to suck data in from the fifo).
- Started vdr, tuned to the right channel. It read from the fifo, converted the TS to PES and displayed the same old errors in the stream.

- I then used ps2pes from DVB mpegtools (fairly old version Nov 2001 that shipped with 0.9.4) to convert the same file TS file to a PES.
- I then copied the PES as .vdr file into vdr's /video/ directory for playback. It plays back just fine in vdr!

Form that I believe it's fair to assume there's something wrong here with the vdr's ts2pes for the channel / mux in question. Transfer mode, buffering, driver / firmware can now be excluded as reasons I think.

I've read in the source that vdr's ts2pes is based on tuxzap - it'd be interesting to know out on which version / date. I've looked at tuxzap's CVS and noticed some changes/fixes to ts2pes in the past year. I applied one of the obvious changes to vdr but that didn't do the trick. Unfortunately I can't get tuxzap compiled at all to test whether it has the same problems playing this stream and wether this changes with more recent versions...

What would be the most sensible thing to do now? I could post sample TS files which should play back correctly.

Maybe someone with better knowledge of MPEG2 knows what kind of conversions are crucial and might be missed out on frames with a lot of movement (are those primarily I-FRAMES?). Also whatever goes on in PRIVATE_STREAM1 seems a bit odd to me, but then again, I guess I don't know the specs.

Other stuff I tested earlier: frame borders (whatever they are) don't seem to have anything to do with it as I disabled those without any change. Just for the record: I also tried various combinations of drivers and fimwares togehter (about 10 from old and newstruct) - without any change.

- Gregor