[vdr] Re: schedule channel change

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 05:32:48PM +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 05:03:55PM +0100, Robert Simons wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Andreas Henden wrote:
> >
> > >Hi
> > >
> > >Is it possible too schedule a channel change and not record it. Some
> > >times I start to watch a show and I forget that I'm sitting and waiting
> > >on another show that is going on another channel.
> > >
> > You could try with timers of zero (or very small) length?
> >

> > >Another thing that follows is maybe you could have a file with program
> > >titles you like. So when a program start let us say seinfeld or
> > >something start you get a message on the screen. "Seinfeld on channel
> > >....." And then you could press OK or something to change to that
> > >channel.
> > >
> > >Does anyone have the skills and the time to program a plugin for that?
> > >
> > >From
> > >

> > I would prefer to have a new timer flavour. This way you just would use
> > existing tools like vdradmin/master-timer (easily patched into issuing
> > the new commands).
> >
> > Actually I would like to have 3 kinds of Timers:
> > 1 "normal" recording Timers
> > 2  "change channel" Timers that only change channel  (with low
> > priority: ask on osd)
> > 3  "start eit scan" Timers that start a eit scanning sweep at a given time
>
> There are some bits in the active-marker that are "free". Normaly you
> have "0" and "1". A Master-Timer active is ">65536" and contains the
> master-timer-internal ID-Number of the timer.
>
> Currently the counter is linear, so the first bits are "overwritten".
> But i could change it in a way that the first 16 are always untouched by
> master-timer. (count << 16). As a new version of master-timer is needed
> anyway, this is no problem at all.
>
> Now you could add this special behaviour via (e.g.) bit 1 and bit 2.
>
> bit 0 set = normal timer
> bit 1 set = channel-switch timer
> bit 2 set = eit-scan timer
>
> So e.g. Master-Timer only needs to set the needed bit(s).
>
> [Nachrichten]
> Title = <Nachrichten>
> Channel = ARD
> Timertype = channel-switch
>
> and Master-Timer sets bit 1.
> e.g. count is "3"
> ID = (3 << 16) = 196608
> ID OR bit 1
> 196608 | 2 = 196610
> So the active-flag is "196610". VDR sees that bit 1 is set and
> interprets this timer als only for channel-switching
>
> Another possibiliby would be to make the special case "Start-Time" and
> "End-Time" are equal the trigger for this behaviour. (But this way you
> couldn't differentiate between channel-switch and eit-scan timers. Which
> wouldn't be a problem in most cases i think.)
>

> eit-scan timers can't be generated by master-timer "correctly(tm)" (Out
> of scope for master-timer. For this type of timers user-definied
> repeating timers fit best(tm) in my eyes)
>

> Bis denn

Hi,

So finally someone who has looked into it (unlike myself :-).
All this bit-shuffling sounds a bit messy :-(
And I can't clearly see why the status should be changed.
non-recording timers should use the same stati as recording timers.

Why not introduce just a new field?
For "old" timers this would be inside the summary field. If you
use a clearly defined format, like one number followed by a ":",
(how many summaries beginning with a number, followed by a ":"
are out there?) and you even could input these new timers using
old software (just manipulate summary info).

Another idea is, to use special file names in the file field.
As in this field the "target" of the timer is defined, the
target "@@notafile" "@@eitscan" etc. could signal special timers.
is "@@" a good prefix for that?

This has the benefit, that you only have to handle this special feature,
when actually acting on this timer in vdr (and you may not have
series starting with "@@").

Any good/better ideas?

Gruss Robert