[vdr] Re: schedule channel change

Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:

> > As for the function encoding: we don't need to start the filename with "@@"
> > or so, since it is already clear that this is a "special" timer (start==stop).
> > The first character of the filename should encode the special function, like
> >
> >   @   switch to the channel given in the timer
>
> As somebody else said for this timer(-type) you (may) need the end-time
> to hinder VDR from auto-shutdown or something in this direction.

No, you don't - we could consider such a timer as "user activity", which
automatically resets the shutdown timer. I really want such timers to be of
"zero length".

> >   *   start an EPG scan
>
> The Question is "start EPG-scan" or "Jump to this channel for EPG-scan".
> Maybe with a 10-30 (/VDR-Default-Value) seconds duration to give enough
> time for gathering the EPG-info.

If you swicth to a channel, VDR automatically gathers all EPG info from that
entire transponder. So there is no need for "Jump to this channel for EPG-scan".
A simple "Switch to this channel" will do if you only want the EPG from that
channel's transponder.

> What makes "Jump to this channel" sexy is that you can specify only the
> channels/(/Transponders) that interest youself. You maybe need a few of
> this timers but i don't see a problem here as you need to generate them
> only once. (As i said before the "Repeating-timers" fit best for this
> special timer-type)

That's possible with the things I suggested.

> The Advantage of a "Switch to channel" with a stop-time is that an
> epg-scan-timer wouldn't interfere with this timer. (As long as the Prio
> is correct(tm). When the EPG-Scan has higher Prio then VDR would/could
> jump back after the obove meantioned timeout)

Let's keep things **SIMPLE**.

Klaus