[vdr] Re: VDR-binarys (was Re: cDevice plugin API)

* Steffen Barszus <st_barszus@gmx.de> [030116 14:22]:
> A few general questions in relation to providing RPMs (not a question
> particular to stefan):
>
> - shouldn't the plugins packaged seperatly

I thought about this a while before I built the packages. But this
would produce a big number of packages that are spread seperately
and have to be maintained seperately. I plan to build some mechanism
to choose which of the plugins will be started in runvdr/an init script.

The plugins themselfes are really small, so space does not really
matter.
Otoh, when I update the vdr package to a newer version, I can just
rebuild the vdr-plugins package and get a number of 17 plugins built for
that specific version. No need to rebuild 17 packages every time I build
a new plugin.

> - would it be good to package the dvb-driver as rpm too or would this be the
> wrong way?

The dvb driver has it's own package in SuSE, but this only contains the
userspace utilities and startup scripts. The modules are in the kernel
binary RPM, as they have to be updated when you install a new kernel.
This is one possible way of doing this.

> - Anyone have done a step in integration to a normal structure ?
> 	Example:	-c in /etc/vdr  and /etc/vdr/plugins
> 			plugins in /usr/lib/vdr/
> 			vdr in /usr/bin
the config files and recordings are in /var/spool/video with my vdr
packages, the plugins are in /usr/lib/vdr and of course vdr in /usr/bin

> 			a runlevelscript instead of runvdr

This one is still missing

Stefan

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offense.                      -- E. W. Dijkstra