[vdr] Re: How to get the VDR box silent

Hi Christian,

> Then for reducing harddisk noise I can really recomend NoVibes from
> http://www.noisecontrol.de
> It reduces the noise of the running disk very well :) I can't hear the
>disk running any longer (even when muting the Reciver) :). It does
>not reduce the "heads moving" noise so that you will need a silent
> HD from the beginning.

"I" would rather search for a harddisk which is silent directly from
the manufacturer than having to pack a hdd in some kind of foam
or noise reductant material. My ST380021A is fast, gets only hand
warm und is damn quiet. Packing electrical equipment into a heat
soaking enviroment (which all nosie reducer stuff is) is NOT going
to be beneficial to the MTBF.

To reduce noise transfer(!) you can mount hdds or fans on rubber
grommets, which prevent the noise from being amplified by the
case (Koerperschalluebertragung).

Fans: Use the biggest you can fit and run them on reduced voltage.
I.e. a 40mm fan running on 12V will be _A_LOT louder than a
80mm fan running on 4-5V. Also watch out for the fan blade
design. Anything looking like a turbine claw will most likely also
sound like a turbine.

Another possibility is to to make airducts to the CPU, HDD, DVB,
PSU and other heat makers. Lead these airducts to a single large
(120mm) fan , which is temperture controlled. Of course you will
need to design a custom case to fit this

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.