[vdr] Re: VDR feature request

Matthias Schniedermeyer schrieb:
> On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:04:29AM +0100, Emil Naepflein
> wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Jan 2003 23:34:57 +0100 (CET),
> <hm@seneca.muc.de> wrote:
> >
> > > you have one big virtual disk, you don't need to
> > > think where to put things etc.
> >
> > One big virtual disk is a very bad thing. One error in
> the filesystem
> > and all of your recordings may be lost. Please remember
> that with
> > several 100 GBs of recordings you have normally no
> possibility to do a
> > backup.
>
> I know why my recordings lasts only some minutes/hours. I
> cut them to my
> "workstation" and burn the recordings to DVD-R. This way
> you only loose
> the recordings of a single disk, if it is destroyed.

Hi Folks,

what about this:

1) Explicit definition of the partitions that could
be used for recordings in the setup menu. With one
master partition and an additional setup for the
minimum free disk space that is needed to start an
recording on an selected partition (may be 2GB by
default).

2) Timer programming with an additional flag to
choose a partition.

3) If a recording on f.e. partition 3 is up to start
and the free disk space is less than the in 1) defined,
the recording starts on the master (and may delete an
older recording on master partition which has a lower
priority)

4) Resordings Menu: scan all in 1) defined partitions
and list the recordings.

This scenario should be extended to enable genre sub-
directories with alphabetical order ;-).

IMHO it would be nice to have a more flexible file hand-
ling within vdr. Just my 2 cents.

CU
Norbert