[vdr] Re: VDR feature request

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 07:25:23 +0100, Matthias Schniedermeyer <ms@citd.de>
wrote:

> I know why my recordings lasts only some minutes/hours. I cut them to my
> "workstation" and burn the recordings to DVD-R. This way you only loose
> the recordings of a single disk, if it is destroyed.
>
> Btw. The EUR per Gigabyte (excluding the burner) is better than the
> price for HDD-space!

HD space currently costs about 1.5 EUR/GB and is dropping to 1 EUR/GB.
DVD-R is cheaper per GB, but as normally there is only space for one
recording the costs per recording are about equal.

> Ok it isn't as comfortable as having direct access

That's important for me because the server is in the basement. Going
down for putting a new DVD in is very inconvienient. May be a changer
would do the trick.

> to the recordings but i don't have 1 TB of disc space to store all of my
> recordings

If you would have invested the money for the burner and the DVD-R discs
you would have 1 TB. ;-)

> Currently i have around 1 TB of recordings (>200 DVD-Rs) and space for
> about 3 TB. (=720 slots for Jewelcases.)
>
> Excluding the burner the "EUR per month" is better too. You only have to
> buy the amount of DVD-Rs you currently need.

I think the total cost currently is pretty equal. Using harddisk has the
disadvantage of losing many recordings if something goes wrong. But it
has the advantage to have all recordings online. I may use DVD-R in the
future.

Emil