[vdr] Re: VDR feature request

Emil Naepflein wrote
>HD space currently costs about 1.5 EUR/GB and is dropping to 1 EUR/GB.
>DVD-R is cheaper per GB, but as normally there is only space for one
>recording the costs per recording are about equal.

Mmm, I buy my (pro-grade, 2x) DVD-Rs for 2.50 EUR apiece... on average,
there are 3.5 GB used on each disk. So, DVD-R remains 25%-50% cheaper.
The main problem for me is volume: I have already 400 DVD-R and record about
2 per day. I would like to have all my recordings online but I can't expect
to acquire 365 x 2 x 3.5 GB = 2.5 TB of hard drive space per year (how would
I arrange the disks, both physically and logically?), whereas a monthly
investment of 150 EUR for DVD-Rs seems to me quite reasonable.
Now, I think the best would be a massive (but cheap) DVD-changer (both for
the recorder and the player). Do you know if there are any that would be
physically compatible with the Pioneer 105?
I think I'll store everything on hdd only in addition to DVD-R, and only the
day they sell 1TB HD under EUR500 (but I don't know if that will ever happen
- I heard that physical limitations on magnetic storage impede the
development of hard drive and that other forms of static memory may take
over).

Ok, this grows increasingly off-topic, but I think it's of interest to many
members of thist list.

Philippe