[vdr] Re: For VDR-1.2.0: VDR should disable broken cards

Hi Klaus,

> > As a matter of fact VDR already does this back as far as 1.1.17 (and
> > maybe earlier). On a multiple card setup, if one card doesn't have
> > an antenna connected and only the EPG scan kicks in, VDR will
> > restart continuously.
>
> If a card doesn't have an antenna connected to it, what sense does
> it make to have VDR use it?

I have two antennas & two DVB cards. One antenna is dedicated for
VDR and the other has more than one use, so VDR can't always
*have* two antennas.

Having VDR restart when the primary card has a reception problem
may be a good idea, but I think VDR should *not* restart, just
because a background scan of the EPG fails. Rather it should simply
jump over the channel which doesn't deliver anything and continue
with the next one

My reason why: as you know I have a motor dish, VDR *cannot*
get EPG data from Hispasat, if my dish is pointing towards Astra
(e.g.) and in this case it makes no sense to continously restart
VDR (because this doesn't change the situation of where the dish
is pointing to ;o))

Pretty much the same goes if one of the TV stations decides to
change any of the PIDs. Obviously in such a case, VDR cannot
tune to the channel and conks out.

What I think VDR should do is:

- on an EPG scan: simply ignore channels that don't deliver any data
  (this would also prevent a current recording from becoming messed
  up just because the EPG scan fails --> I'd rather have no EPG data
  than a junked recording)

- For other restarts: a counter for maximum retries. If we have more
  than one recording set and for some reason it fails to tune, the others
  become unwatchable because VDR is always restarting. Here, too,
  the less worse case is preferable. I'd rather miss one recording (with
  my mod I can always scan for additional starting times ;o)) than have
  all planned or running recordings totally "hacked up".

If making a counter (as you will need to store the info "outside" of
VDR) is too much trouble, then VDR should *only* restart if it
can't get any info from *all* cards (i.e. in a two card system: if
tuning fails on both cards ->initiate a restart. If one of the two
cards can tune --> use this card (override all other preferences
such as which card is the primary card, etc ), but don't restart.

Greetz,
Reinhard

---
Mail is certified Virus Free.