[vdr] Re: For VDR-1.2.0: VDR should disable broken cards

Reinhard Walter Buchner wrote:

> Hi Klaus,
>
> > > As a matter of fact VDR already does this back as far as 1.1.17 (and
> > > maybe earlier). On a multiple card setup, if one card doesn't have
> > > an antenna connected and only the EPG scan kicks in, VDR will
> > > restart continuously.
> >
> > If a card doesn't have an antenna connected to it, what sense does
> > it make to have VDR use it?
>
> I have two antennas & two DVB cards. One antenna is dedicated for
> VDR and the other has more than one use, so VDR can't always
> *have* two antennas.
>
> Having VDR restart when the primary card has a reception problem
> may be a good idea, but I think VDR should *not* restart, just
> because a background scan of the EPG fails. Rather it should simply
> jump over the channel which doesn't deliver anything and continue
> with the next one

Are you sure that VDR resarts in such a case?
I can only see emergency exits during actual recordings or if the
main program loop hangs.

> My reason why: as you know I have a motor dish, VDR *cannot*
> get EPG data from Hispasat, if my dish is pointing towards Astra
> (e.g.) and in this case it makes no sense to continously restart
> VDR (because this doesn't change the situation of where the dish
> is pointing to ;o))

Can you point me to the place where in such a case an emergency exit
is performed? Maybe I'm missing something...

> Pretty much the same goes if one of the TV stations decides to
> change any of the PIDs. Obviously in such a case, VDR cannot
> tune to the channel and conks out.

I could undertsand this if it were recording, but not during the EPG
scan.

> What I think VDR should do is:
>
> - on an EPG scan: simply ignore channels that don't deliver any data
>   (this would also prevent a current recording from becoming messed
>   up just because the EPG scan fails --> I'd rather have no EPG data
>   than a junked recording)

Where exactly does the EPG scan cause this?

> - For other restarts: a counter for maximum retries. If we have more
>   than one recording set and for some reason it fails to tune, the others
>   become unwatchable because VDR is always restarting. Here, too,
>   the less worse case is preferable. I'd rather miss one recording (with
>   my mod I can always scan for additional starting times ;o)) than have
>   all planned or running recordings totally "hacked up".

I'll see about this for 1.3.x.

> If making a counter (as you will need to store the info "outside" of
> VDR) is too much trouble, then VDR should *only* restart if it
> can't get any info from *all* cards (i.e. in a two card system: if
> tuning fails on both cards ->initiate a restart. If one of the two
> cards can tune --> use this card (override all other preferences
> such as which card is the primary card, etc ), but don't restart.

We'll see...

For the time being, all those who absolutely don't want the emergency
exit: just disable it (it's pretty simple to comment out the necessary
code).

Klaus