[vdr] Re: Howto to use VDR with only Streamdev and Xine plugin (no DVB hardware)

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 19:10, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> now that i have the wonderful 54mbit wlan (might remember the thread a week
> ago), i would like to have a fully working VDR on my laptop (no DVB
> hardware).

It certainly works over a wired LAN (with caveats...) so a wireless should be
no different ...

> I think this should be possible with the streamdev plugin on the one hand
> and the xine plugin on the other hand.

You're right :)

> Well, VDR compiles and runs fine with both plugins. However, how can I
> actually take use of it? how do i have to start xine? what settings do i
> need to make in the streamdev plugin?  Do i need those fifo files as
> described in the Xine Plugin INSTALL ?

On the server (with DVB card) you only need the streamdev plugin. On the
client, you need both the streamdev and vdr-xine plugins....

Server: vdr -Pstreamdev
In the plugins menu, enable the VTP server to listen (I think 2004 is the
default port). That's all!

Client: vdr -Pxine -Pstreamdev
In the plugins menu for streamdev, set client mode on, and set the IP of your
server machine... and either PES or TS (some people get better mileage with
one that the other)...

Now make sure the channels.conf on your client and server machines are
identical.

From memory, there's also a .conf in /video to say who can connect to the
streamdev server - similar idea to svdrphosts.conf

I've actually been using the 'xineliboutput' plugin rather than vdr-xine
because it just uses the normal xine-lib, doesn't need patched, and doesn't
need a Xine UI instance - it just opens an X window containing the video.

Cheers,
Gavin.