[vdr] Re: Howto to use VDR with only Streamdev and Xine plugin (no DVB hardware)

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 16:19, Gavin Hamill wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 19:10, you wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > now that i have the wonderful 54mbit wlan (might remember the thread a
> > week ago), i would like to have a fully working VDR on my laptop (no DVB
> > hardware).
>
> It certainly works over a wired LAN (with caveats...) so a wireless should
> be no different ...
>
> > I think this should be possible with the streamdev plugin on the one hand
> > and the xine plugin on the other hand.
>
> You're right :)
>
> > Well, VDR compiles and runs fine with both plugins. However, how can I
> > actually take use of it? how do i have to start xine? what settings do i
> > need to make in the streamdev plugin?  Do i need those fifo files as
> > described in the Xine Plugin INSTALL ?
>
> On the server (with DVB card) you only need the streamdev plugin. On the
> client, you need both the streamdev and vdr-xine plugins....
>
> Server: vdr -Pstreamdev
> In the plugins menu, enable the VTP server to listen (I think 2004 is the
> default port). That's all!
>
> Client: vdr -Pxine -Pstreamdev
> In the plugins menu for streamdev, set client mode on, and set the IP of
> your server machine... and either PES or TS (some people get better mileage
> with one that the other)...
>
> Now make sure the channels.conf on your client and server machines are
> identical.
>
> From memory, there's also a .conf in /video to say who can connect to the
> streamdev server - similar idea to svdrphosts.conf
>
> I've actually been using the 'xineliboutput' plugin rather than vdr-xine
> because it just uses the normal xine-lib, doesn't need patched, and doesn't
> need a Xine UI instance - it just opens an X window containing the video.
>
> Cheers,
> Gavin.

hm, well it somehow does work, but there is so many artifacts in the picture
that it is absolutely useless. I can navigate in the OSD, but even this
sometimes freezes. I will play around with some settings, try the latest vdr
versions on server/client side and so on.

Moreover, there's a strange behavior: I can not change transponders on the
client. Only the channels on the one transponder are available. hm. As I
said, I will build both VDRs from scratch and double then doublecheck that
all configs are fine...

Thanks !

Thomas