[vdr] Re: Howto to use VDR with only Streamdev and Xine plugin (no DVB hardware)

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 13:53, Thomas Glomann wrote:

> hm, well it somehow does work, but there is so many artifacts in the
> picture that it is absolutely useless.

The only thing I can think is perhaps you are using 'TS' mode - this will
shuffle the entire Transport Stream of usually about 30Mbps... PES mode will
only shuffle the program you are watching - usually a max of 8Mbps...

Also test your CPU load when simply doing an FTP transfer from your notebook
to the VDR server - you may be able to transfer at 30Mbps or more, but if
your CPU usage on client is 100% then how can you expect smooth MPEG2
software decode? :)

For smooth playback, you really need a sustained transfer speed of at least
10Mbps with very low CPU usage.

> Moreover, there's a strange behavior: I can not change transponders on the
> client.

The "Channel Not Available" message is a bug in the streamdev plugin that the
author is aware of...rather than use the 'Up' and 'Down' buttons, try to
enter the channel number directly.. or use the OSD to choose a new channel.

Cheers,
Gavin.