[vdr] Re: AW: Re: softdevice-0.0.4 plugin with Xv output method

Holger Waechtler wrote:

> Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
> > Holger Waechtler wrote:

> >>no - that's pretty unlikely, MHP requires a much more flexible OSD than
> >>the av711x provides.
> >

> > I'm going to make VDR's OSD interface much more abstract, so that if you
> > actually have a device that can do a full screen 256 color OSD, a plugin
> > could make use of that.
> >
> > @Holger: would a full screen, 256 color OSD be sufficient for MHP, or does
> > it requite even more?
>
> IIRC you need a full-color display. A more serious problem is that the
> MHP spec requires at least an OSD, a video and a stillpicture layer,
> maybe even multiple still layers (maybe these could get faked using the
> window stack). But that's just like I remind things, if anybody here has
> the specs handy please check and report whether my memory is true...
>
> > But then again, who needs MHP... ;-)
>
> ;) I didn't asked for it - just grep your VDR-ML inbox to find out who's
> asking again and again...

That's most likely because people tend to like "buzz-words".
They hear that MHP is the big hype, and so they want it.
What does MHP really give you? IMHO it is mainly wanted by
providers who want to _sell_ stuff through it, or otherwise
draw money out of viewers' pockets. Everything that now takes
a (costly) phone call shall be possible through the remote control
(that's also why everybody wants a "back channel", so that the
viewer's box can connect to the provider and pump money to their
accounts).

As for the EPGs: sure, every bouquet could have its own, fancy EPG
display then - but what the viewer IMHO needs is an EPG display
that covers _ALL_ channels - and I doubt that the various bouquets
will agree on _one_ interface.

And, last but not least, games: well, if you want to play games, get
a game console...

Klaus