[vdr] Re: AW: Re: softdevice-0.0.4 plugin with Xv output method

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
Holger Waechtler wrote:

Klaus Schmidinger wrote:

Holger Waechtler wrote:

Jörg Knitter wrote:

P.S.: Feel free to answer this mail as PM as not everyone might be
interested... First of all, I want to know, if we will ever get a VDR incl. MHP with
nearly the same video quality as when using the TV out of the OSD-limited
Nexus.
no - that's pretty unlikely, MHP requires a much more flexible OSD than
the av711x provides.

I'm going to make VDR's OSD interface much more abstract, so that if you
actually have a device that can do a full screen 256 color OSD, a plugin
could make use of that.

@Holger: would a full screen, 256 color OSD be sufficient for MHP, or does
it requite even more?
IIRC you need a full-color display. A more serious problem is that the
MHP spec requires at least an OSD, a video and a stillpicture layer,
maybe even multiple still layers (maybe these could get faked using the
window stack). But that's just like I remind things, if anybody here has
the specs handy please check and report whether my memory is true...

But then again, who needs MHP... ;-)
;) I didn't asked for it - just grep your VDR-ML inbox to find out who's
asking again and again...

That's most likely because people tend to like "buzz-words".
They hear that MHP is the big hype, and so they want it.
What does MHP really give you? IMHO it is mainly wanted by
providers who want to _sell_ stuff through it, or otherwise
draw money out of viewers' pockets. Everything that now takes
a (costly) phone call shall be possible through the remote control
(that's also why everybody wants a "back channel", so that the
viewer's box can connect to the provider and pump money to their
accounts).
well - I primarly understand it as graphical videotext replacement with some interactivity features. when you ask what sense it makes you could as well ask who really needs the internet...

As for the EPGs: sure, every bouquet could have its own, fancy EPG
display then - but what the viewer IMHO needs is an EPG display
that covers _ALL_ channels - and I doubt that the various bouquets
will agree on _one_ interface.
agreed.

And, last but not least, games: well, if you want to play games, get
a game console...
:) even more true - MHP was probably not designed for games or with any performance considerations in mind - and if so it's a pretty poor design...

Holger