[vdr] Re: 1.3.1 and Conax not working

Jan Ekholm wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried 1.3.1 as we've had frequent crashes with 1.2.6 since we started
> watching encrypted channels, but it works with mixed results. The
> encrypted channels do not work at all, only a black screen but with
> correct EPG info. All other FTA channels work normally and seemingly
> without any problems.
>
> Maybe relevant stuff from the log (channel 10 is an encrypted channel):
>
> kernel: DVB: registering new adapter (Technotrend/Hauppauge PCI rev2.1 or
>         2.2).
> kernel: DVB: VES1820(0): setup for tuner sp5659c
> kernel: DVB: VES1820(0): pwm=0x00
> kernel: DVB: registering frontend 0:0 (VES1820 based DVB-C frontend)...
> kernel: DVB: AV7111(0) - firm f0240009, rtsl b0250018, vid 71010068, app
>         8000261b
> kernel: DVB: AV7111(0) - firmware supports CI link layer interface
> kernel: av7110(0): adac type set to 0
> kernel: Technotrend/Hauppauge PCI rev2.1 or 2.2 adapter 0 has MAC addr =
>         00:d0:5c:21:34:77
> vdr[4727]: setting watchdog timer to 60 seconds
> vdr[4727]: retuning due to modification of channel 10
> vdr[4727]: switching to channel 10
> vdr[4727]: max. latency time 1 seconds
> vdr[4732]: CAM: Conax 4.00e, 01, 0B00, 04B1
>
> The card is a full featured Hauppauge DVB-c card. The CAM is a Conax 4.00.
> I use the driver package linux-dvb.2003-11-08, the same Klaus used for
> 1.3.1. I also tried the driver with the -icam firmware and various
> combinations of hw_sections=[01], but with similar or a worse result. The
> README in the DVB driver package doesn't describe too much what the point
> of the two firmwares is, at least it doesn't make sense to me.

The difference is in the way the CAM is accessed. The '-icam' firmware
does this by itself, but with several limitations, so some CAMs don't work
with it. The "normal" firmware uses the "Link Layer" interface to the CAM,
which allows an application like VDR to take full control over the CAM
(including accessing the CAM menus, doing a CAM reset etc.).

> Once I did get a single still frame shown when switching to an encrypted
> channel, so something is kind of working.
>
> Anything particular that should be tested/debugged or is it better to
> revert to 1.2.6 for now?

You could enable the debug output in VDR/ci.c in both versions and
try to compare the data that is sent to the CAM. Version 1.3.1 has some
changes regarding CAM access, but they were supposed to make things better,
not worse...

Klaus