[vdr] Re: CVS access

Bud Millwood wrote:

> On Friday 16 January 2004 17:44, Rob Shortt wrote:
>
> > Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I don't know the history, but I think Klaus should be the one who
> > > commit "Klaus's changes" into the CVS, shouldn't he?
>
> Sure, but I think he's said before that he's not interested in using CVS.
>
> > I totally agree with you.  If Klaus doesn't want to maintain a publicly
> > accessable CVS it should be his right as the project owner to not do so
> > (or do so).  It isn't fair for someone else to do this unless they
> > legitimately fork the project and use a different name.
>
> Hmm. Well, this didn't seem like a sticky issue to me at first. Naturally I'd
> like to see VDR in CVS for all the standard reasons.
>
> Maybe we should ask Klaus?
>
> Hey Klaus:
>
> Suppose I took VDR, patched it with a lot of the patches floating around, and
> put the source up on my home page for people to download. How would you feel
> about that? Regardless of what the GPL allows, would you personally be
> offended?
>
> If not, what would be the difference if I put it in a public CVS and did the
> same thing? Maybe that in CVS it would look like an "official" VDR code base?

As long as it is clear that the original VDR code is the same as I am
providing on ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr I have no problem with that.
By default a checkout from that CVS should retrieve exactly the same
code as I have released. If checkouts with special labels retrieve
patched or otherwise modified versions, that's fine with me.

Just be aware that the "official" VDR source is always that which I have
uploaded to ftp.cadsoft.de/vdr. I will not check the CVS to see if there
have been any changes to the original code.

Klaus