[vdr] Re: OT: RGB Component from J2

Hi Mika,

> :-) Hmm, from the rounded mathematical viewpoint
> numbers 3801 and 3805  are almost same so I think
> we need to go into

;;o)) The new Denon does have a few more features. For
instance it has Auto-Eq, which allows you to set up your
HT very easily. Just plug in a special mike and hit a few
buttons. The 3805 will measure & calculate the necesary
delay times, level and parametric sound adjustment on 8
bands for each loudspeaker. While not having  the THX
certification (more $$) it does have THX capability. You
can even connect a set of extra surrounds, so that you can
chose which speakers should be used for which source
(dipoles, etc). After running an Auto-Eq you really sit
inside of the music or the movie.

> second level in the comparison. What about your loudspeakers.
> I have one  pair of "Hifi 10/2" loudspeakers which are
> hand soldered (the only electricity I have made by myself)
> --> They are > very very good...:-)

I have a 7.1 setup. I'm running a 15" sub powered by a 14
year old Onkyo (which is connected to the sub out of the
Denon) amp. My two fronts are 4 way systems and each
has a 10" woofer. These are highly dampend closed LS. If
I push the woofer in by hand it takes the woofer about 1
sec to return to the null point. My center is a three way
LS, which I will most likely be replacing with a new one
having a D'Appolito arrangement of the LS chassis. My
surround LS are two way bass reflex LS with ferrofluid
cooled titanium tweeters and a 165mm mid / bass
chassis. My surround rears are also of two way bass
reflex type. A simple dome tweeter and a 100mm mid-
range/small bass is all they contain. All LS are (of
course :o)) homebrew. The chassis come from various
sources including Monacor (who simply remark them,
but in reality they sell chassis from some of the most
renowned LS manufacturers).

When T3 or the T-Rex "enters" my room, you really feel that
they are around you. My cat usually dives under the bed when
things start "a rumbling" ;o)) I tried to match the video setup
to the audio setup, which is what got me started into CRTs
and big screens ;o)).

> Well I am not not very handy, but on the other hand things
> like this are  very interesting... So I think I will try.
> (I have always certain problems for putting theory of
>> physics into  practice -:)

Hooking up the TOTX is pretty easy. There are two versions
out there. One with three wires (+5V, Gnd and Signal in)
and one version has five pins. The latter ones are a bit better
since you have some control over the current, you are
feeding the transmitter LED.

> Btw, the first ironinc experiment with sounds for me was covax which
> allowed me to listen ".mod" files by forwarding sounds
> via my 286's serial port to amplifier. (I did not have money for the

Yeah, I remember building my first sound digitizer for my
Amiga 1000 ;o)) I also bought one of the first Sound Blaster
cards out there (anyone remember the talking parrot? ;o))
for some 600 bloody DM.

Greets,
Reinhard

---