[vdr] Re: VDR 1.3.15 gets unusable slow after a short time

post wrote:

> > > BTW Klaus, I've read you use SuSe. Why don't you try Gentoo,
> >
> >Why should I? Suse (currently 8.2 with kernel 2.4.20) works just fine
> >for me.
>
> It may run fine for you, but just think about it, a 2.4 kernel is not
> really performing well on decent hardware, and your project has become that
> popular, people are going to use it with various distributions and most
> likely on new setups, like AMD64 and PCI-Express boards, altogether with
> SATA drives and other new stuff.

You can't possibly expect me to install all the latest greatest bells
and whistles hard- and software, just because _somebody_ might use it.

As long as SuSE 8.2 runs fine for me I see absolutely no reason to use
anything else. I did try to use SuSE 9.1 with kernel 2.6, but had to
give up on that again because the kfir driver (which I absolutely need)
doesn't work there.

Klaus

Home | Main Index | Thread Index