[linux-dvb] Re: DVB driver for B2C2 based budget cards (suchas Technisat SkyStar 2)

Miernik wrote:
BTW: I just had a great idea for all GNU community to benefit from:
> [...]
I have looked at the statistics, and all the groups there take only 11 kbps in total, it will be probably a little larger when new groups are added, so a 16 kbps will be enough. It should not cost more than 100 EUR monthly to multicast that. And one multicast would supply it all for whole Europe. A second multicast on a different satellite would be needed for America, and maybe a third one for Asia. We could look for some sponsor, or even collect money from GNU users and developers, for example 1 EUR monthly for each user. The fee would not be mandatory, but I am sure that there would eaisly be 100 people who would pay 1 EUR monthly for this service to run.
What do you think? Ability to receive all mailing lists in real-time for 1 EUR monthly?
It costs more than 100 Euro, it's more in the region of 5000 Euro if i remember correctly.

However, the idea is nice i already thought about something like this. Maybe it's possible if you have the right contacts, but unless you want to spend BIG money there is no way.

Even the carriage of the data to the uplink isn't trivial.

Maybe it's possible to work together with an IP-over-DVB provider, but they are all dying (guess why :)

On the other hand: How many traffic (= $$$) could be saved if ONE provider establish an usenet->astra/hotbird/whatever feed and everybody would be using that? or is such a thing already existing?

Problem would be, as always, encryption, since shared-secrets will never really work.

felix