[linux-dvb] Re: Hauppauge Nova-T Problems

> FWIW, these are exactly the symptoms I had on a SIS chipset with a budget
> card. These cards appear to be very timing sensitive. The parameters to
> play with are the SAA7146A "FIFO threshold" and "PCI burst length"
> settings. Settings I found to work well:
>
> 1. PCI burst = 32 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 32 DWORDs - This one handles
> even a 40Mbps DVB-Cable stream on both i440BX as well as i850E chipsets
> (don't have others to try).
>
> 2. PCI burst = 16 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 16 DWORDs - seems to work
> equally well.
>
> 3. PCI burst = 16 DWORDs, FIFO threshold = 32 DWORDs - The only setting
> which allowed me to make a DVB-T budget card work on a SIS 651 chipset.

Well, optimism is ebbing now.  I haven't completely finished trying
everything, but I don't seem to be making much difference with these
options.  Can I just check I'm applying them right:

Basically as per:

I change av7110.c and change the line:

saa7146_write(saa->mem, PCI_BT_V1, 0x001c0000)

to either 0x00170000 or 0x00130000 for options 1 and 2 (I did also try
changing all the other registers to something lower as well.)

Then make clean, make, make insmod and off we go.

I have completely disabled all the onboard devices, especially the usb bus,
and still I have glitches on channel 5 for example.  On many other channels
I can get the quality to be "pretty good".  However, the sound is WAY out of
sync, nearly 1 sec or so behind.  This all works fine with the full featured
card though, and sound is going to an RME audio 96/8 card

I have a few things to try still, but just wanted to check that I'm altering
the param correctly because I don't really see much change when I move it
around...

...Also, one other strange thing.  I have not yet tried adding the debug
flag, but I do notice that the frontend does not load up properly unless the
ves1820 module is insmod first.... Any idea why?

Thanks

Ed W