[linux-dvb] Re: Solved, patch attached: DVB-C tuning problems caused by inittab changes in ves1820.c since 2003-05-24

Peter Bieringer wrote:

> <js@convergence.de> wrote:
>
> >Looks good, but there's a problem: I currently don't have time to
> >port changes to DVB forward to dvb-kernel, which means if you want
> >me to apply changes to DVB you (or someone else) will have to send
> >me similar patches for dvb-kernel.
>
> Can do this, against which sources? linux-2.6.0-test$latest? Or is there a
> extra cvs tree somewhere.

CVS module "dvb-kernel",
http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/

> >IMHO the VES1820 driver should
> >always printk the PWM value from EEPROM during initialization.
> >AFC can be printed with Jaakko's utility. We just need a pointer
> >to it and a "howto fix dvb-c tuning problems" doc.
>
> Solution?
> Change all "dprintk" in ves1820.c to "printk" except the one of AFC logging?
> (can do this).

unconditional printk only for PWM

maybe change other dprintks to depend opn a "debug" module param, but
still I think Jaakko's http://www.iki.fi/hyvatti/dvb/getfrontend.c
would be sufficient.

> BTW: a one shot AFC log line would be still a good idea...not everyone
> reads a doc after running into trouble.
>
> But what about this idea:
> Do not log AFC data normally, but display a warning, if e.g. AFC is a
> little bit out-of-range (e.g. -4 to +4 is ok?) and a note about try to fix
> adjusting the PWM value?

Hm, not good. What if you want to scan a frequency range? (OK, unrealistic
because of standardized channel/frequency schemes...).

Johannes