[linux-dvb] Re: DVB character coding...

From: "Gerd Knorr" <kraxel@bytesex.org>
> "Robert Schlabbach" <robert_s@gmx.net> writes:
> > But what is coding 0x14? It is described as using the "Big5 subset"
> > of Unicode. What does that mean? Is it encoded as bytes with escape
> > sequences, 16-bit words or something else?
>
> It has nothing to do with unicode (and is older than unicode), the
> "subset" probably referes to the fact that the characters you can
> encode with big5 are a subset of what you can do with unicode.

That makes sense, thanks!

But the codings 0x12 and 0x13 bring up another problem: In KSC5601 and
GB2312, the codes 0x80 through 0x9F are used as lead bytes - but DVB
defines them as control codes. Obviously you can't have the same byte serve
two different meanings. I suppose there simply are no control codes for
these character codings?

BTW, I have looked at the DVB-SI implementation guide (ETSI TR 101 211) and
it doesn't clarify anything about the character codes, but it defines the
use of the emphasis control codes (0x86 and 0x87): In names (bouquet,
network, provider and service names), those can be placed around the
characters that should be used as the SHORT NAME for this item. And this is
already being used, e.g. (code 0x86 is replaced shown as "<" and code 0x87
is shown as ">"):

<RTL> Television - Long name is "RTL Television", short name is "RTL"
<S>uper< RTL>    - Long name is "Super RTL", short name is "S RTL"

This is something I didn't know before...

Regards,
--
Robert Schlabbach
e-mail: robert_s@gmx.net