[vdr] Re: Sky Digibox vdr support (was: Composite / S-VHS input ?)

Hi all,

At 21:50 06/11/2002 +0000, Gavin Hamill wrote:
>On Wed, Nov 06, 2002 at 10:39:32PM +0100, Carsten Koch wrote:
>> Gavin Hamill wrote:
>>
>> Why not?
>> Are you sure there is not a separate chip in it that decodes MPEG and
>> turns it into RGB/Composite?
>> That chip's input signal should be MPEG2, right?
>
>This is Sky we're talking about - they'll have developed some special
>everything-on-one-chip solution to thwarte attempts by people like us :/

Of course that there are many different designs of DigiBoxes for Sky
digital :-).

Old ones have a (ST Microelectronics) ST20TP2 or ST20TP4 (Microprocessor)
and then a STI3520 (MPEG Audio / MPEG-2 Video Decoder), wich are linked by
a parallel bus, transporting ES; this decoder deliver digital video, that
then is feed to a video encoder chip (Philips SAA7102, SAA7120, etc),
which produce the the Composite Video, S-Video and RGB outputs.

Latter models have a STi5510 or STi5512 which have the MPEG2 Audio/Video
decoders and the video encoder (and more subsytems) integrated on the chip;
then isn't possible to tap the MPEG2 ES.

The new models used for Sky+ (with integrated HD and PVR functions), have
another chip of the STi55xx series that integrates also two IDE ports.

All of the previus is from what I've read, as I'm too far from UK and
don't have any Sky box :-).

Best regards:
--
Roberto Deza Asensio