[vdr] Re: KVDR with DXR3?

On Saturday, 14. June 2003 00:26, Sascha Volkenandt wrote:
> At Freitag, 13. Juni 2003 17:06 Guido Fiala wrote:
> > I admit - just making a video device is easier than making one playing
> > back MPEG's. That would mean to emulate the missing part (compared to an
> > full-featured one) to make it look like an hardware one to vdr.
> > At least you would'nt need to plugin full applications into vdr to make
> > it playback in software...
>
> In /dev/video0, there is only plain video data, no MPEG. That all happens
> before any output device. But what's visible on /dev/video0 with a full

You are fully right.

> featured card, is the decoded picture (means plain video data) with the OSD
> renderes on it. Basically it's the same that goes to the TV-out.

That is exactly what i suggest - the dvb-driver could theretically emulate
the missing parts of an budget card all in itself to make it look like a full
featured one to vdr.

the other devices the driver normally has, will appear exactly the same but
instead of using the card to decompress it will call libmpeg2 and instead of
the hardware for the OSD it will use software to render an image and add it
too the frame "written" to /dev/videoX.

mem-copy can probably avoided using SHM, and the overlay-capability can be
simulated by using libXv, but one would use Xv anyway, because of the
deinterlacing possibility so one could simply ignore the overlay-ioctl's just
have the mmap-ioctl to grab frames in a certain format, not even all required.

The advantage over the mplayer-solution would be a more fine-grained control
of the playback, with more of the features of vdr - the disadvantage - we
would have to start from "scratch" ;-)