[vdr] Re: feature request: Instant Replay

Am Freitag, 21. November 2003 23:13 schrieb Martin Fischer:
> Am Freitag, 21. November 2003 22:38 schrieb Johannes Schöller:
> > i don't think that recording on harddisk all the time is the way to
> > go. put 128 or 256 mb in your machine and you have at least time
> > for a 60s playback buffer that will be deleted (and/or freshly
> > filled) with every channel switch. that shouldn't make channel
> > hopping any slower (because it's all in memory only)
>
> As far as I can imagine this concept your ringbuffer is only usefull
> when filled with data. If you would like to rewinding 60 seconds back
> that would mean after every channel switch vdr has to wait 60 seconds
> befor showing a picture. After this 60 seconds your buffer is
> completely full and you can see the delayed video signal. If it
> doesn't wait the buffer will never be filled up after switching
> because the speed of incoming and outgoing data is the same.
>
> Well, I don't want my vdr take 60 seconds for one switch. Maybe I'm
> wrong, but I cannot imagine how to solve this. Maybe replaying slower
> than the original video would do, but this wouldn't be very nive too.
>
> Or did I make any mistake here?

You did :)

The recorded signal will be seen and after that go in the ringbuffer. So
the ringbuffer can be filled. At least from theoretically point of
view.

I think this should be done with a plugin or be optional. I would rather
prefer to not have such a feature eating my RAM

Steffen