[vdr] Re: feature request: Instant Replay

----- Original Message -----
From: <arne.richter@gmx.net>
To: <vdr@linuxtv.org>
Sent: Friday, November 21, 2003 5:08 PM
Subject: [vdr] Re: feature request: Instant Replay

> > Hmm, IMHO such feature would be very useful. It's very common that you
do
> > something else while watching tv, like eat or IRC or surf the web etc..
> > Then you see something interesting on the TV but have already missed
most
> > of it. :)
> >

> I have to agree with you completely.
>
> In my case, I have made it a habit to timeshift *every* single show I am
> watching live, because very often there is a piece of dialog that I missed
and
> would like to review. So at the moment it means not only 2 extra
keypresses at
> the beginning (I can live with that), but I also have to delete the show
> manually afterwards, and when I forget to do that, my disk fills up rather
> quickly, so then I have to do extra housekeeping work.
>
> So I have to disagree with Klaus that this is a "99.99% useless feature".
> For him it may very well be that, but for others it isn't. On the other
hand, I
> wouldn't call it a top priority issue as you can already achieve the
result
> by manually timeshifting everything. So its more of a a "nice to have"...

i don't know how often i requested that "ring buffer always on recording"
feature. but i wasn't heard.

i don't think that recording on harddisk all the time is the way to go. put
128 or 256 mb in your machine and you have at least time for a 60s playback
buffer that will be deleted (and/or freshly filled) with every channel
switch. that shouldn't make channel hopping any slower (because it's all in
memory only)

maybe if enough ppl now reply to that mail and say they want it as well kls
will give it a higher priority ;) (that doesn't mean we want to put any
pressure on you klaus - you know i wouldn't dare *g*).

servus hannes!

Johannes Schöller
<schoeller@izeman.net>