[vdr] Re: feature request: Instant Replay

Hallo,

>i don't know how often i requested that "ring buffer always on recording"
>feature. but i wasn't heard.
>
>i don't think that recording on harddisk all the time is the way to go.
>put
>128 or 256 mb in your machine and you have at least time for a 60s
>playback
>buffer that will be deleted (and/or freshly filled) with every channel
>switch. that shouldn't make channel hopping any slower (because it's all
>in
>memory only)

As very offen, it is not everyone who needs this, but it is a very nice
Feature :)

In fact it happens regularily that one did not hear exactly what was said
and it woul be nice to be able to go a certain amount of time back to hear
it again. Or to start recording from there.

I would like to spend some RAM for that (or buy some if needed).

Actually I don't think it has to "kick in" while zapping - f.ex. it could
start buffering after an amount of time on the same channel - so that it
would not interfere with zapping and making that slower ;)

On disk it is probably much more difficult but it could be done in a way
that it maybe creates smaller files and you could start a new file and
then delete the one before the previous or something like that.

Greetings
Christian Jacobsen