[vdr] Re: 1.3.17 thread issues

Reinhard Nissl <rnissl@gmx.de> writes:

>>>i have difficulties to think it's only plugins' fault when moving from
>>>a dual-pIII 500MHz to a single-pIII 1GHz makes vdr+plugin even more
>>>unstable.
>> Hmm I should have known : do not use kernel preemption ! (even in a
>> non smp kernel) ;-)
> Are there really issues concerning SMP in dvb-kernel?

oh yes ! don't know for the other drivers, but dvb-ttpci is not
smp-safe at all. And unfortunatly dvb-kernel devs don't have a smp box
to work on it.
If you search dvb-kernel mailing list archive, you'll read smp and
dvb-ttpci users moved to single cpu.

concerning PREEMPT and HT i'm not sure, i had some issues with
a PREEMPT enabled kernel yesterday evening but it's possible it's
related to dvb_device_open problem i've reported on dvb-kernel ml.