[vdr] Re: Easiest way for VDR 1.3x with Suse 9.2?

On Saturday 18 December 2004 04:08, Ari Huttunen wrote:
> Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> >Ari Huttunen wrote:
> >>I've been here before, with Mandrake 10.0, but do I yet again need to
> >> start recompiling the kernel, drivers, and VDR, or is there an easier
> >> way?
> >
> ># yast -i vdr && rcdvb start && rcvdr start
>
> I did that and.. nothing. How non-inspiring. No error messages and no
> output on my television.

That will only work for the Suse modified version.

You may need to add a couple of files to /etc/sysconfig/hardware to force
appear to have any reference now, may have been a later vdr rpm I tried
briefly.

> I actually installed vdr via the GUI yast, and ran those other two as
> root on a terminal later. Is there some documentation I'm supposed to
> read, like where am I supposed to learn about rcdvb and rcvdr?

They run the scripts in /etc/init.d for dvb and vdr, parameters are start,
status, stop, restart.

> How am I
> supposed to control VDR? I want to control it via a keyboard at first,
> and switch to LIRC a bit later, but mainly I'd just prefer it to work
> somehow. Unfortunately Suse installation messed up my computer and I no
> longer can boot Mandrake, so I've no working VDR at the moment..

Delete or rename /etc/vdr/remote.conf while vdr is not running. Next time vdr
is loaded it should prompt you for key codes - you'll need to change to
console 9 to allow input and control.

Lirc is more difficult, I've just spent hours on it. I had to recompile the
kernel after removing the Lirc drivers, uninstall Suse Lirc and install
0.7.0pre8 from the Lirc site. Add lirc to the dependencies after vdr
in /etc/init.d/.depend.start or Suse will insist on starting Lirc after vdr.

HTH

fruit

Home | Main Index | Thread Index