[vdr] Re: Easiest way for VDR 1.3x with Suse 9.2?

Andy carter wrote:
> On Saturday 18 December 2004 04:08, Ari Huttunen wrote:
> > Ludwig Nussel wrote:
> > >
> > ># yast -i vdr && rcdvb start && rcvdr start
> >
> > I did that and.. nothing. How non-inspiring. No error messages and no
> > output on my television.

Check for vdr error messages on console 9 and in /var/log/messages

> You may need to add a couple of files to /etc/sysconfig/hardware to force
> appear to have any reference now, may have been a later vdr rpm I tried
> briefly.

/usr/share/doc/packages/dvb/README.SuSE
It should work without any configuration if you have a single ff dvb
card.

> > I actually installed vdr via the GUI yast, and ran those other two as
> > root on a terminal later. Is there some documentation I'm supposed to
> > read, like where am I supposed to learn about rcdvb and rcvdr?

/usr/share/doc/packages/vdr/README.SuSE

> > How am I
> > supposed to control VDR? I want to control it via a keyboard at first,
> > and switch to LIRC a bit later, but mainly I'd just prefer it to work
> > somehow. Unfortunately Suse installation messed up my computer and I no
> > longer can boot Mandrake, so I've no working VDR at the moment..
>
> Delete or rename /etc/vdr/remote.conf while vdr is not running. Next time vdr
> is loaded it should prompt you for key codes - you'll need to change to
> console 9 to allow input and control.

The default remote.conf has some keys bound already.

> Lirc is more difficult, I've just spent hours on it. I had to recompile the
> kernel after removing the Lirc drivers, uninstall Suse Lirc and install

What remote do you have? If it's a serial one read
/usr/share/doc/packages/lirc/README.SUSE first.

> 0.7.0pre8 from the Lirc site. Add lirc to the dependencies after vdr
> in /etc/init.d/.depend.start or Suse will insist on starting Lirc after vdr.

Modifying that file is useless, it's autogenerated and will be
overwritten by insserv. The correct fix is to add the line

# Should-Start:      lirc

to /etc/init.d/vdr. Alternatively use vdr from the supplementary
directory on ftp.suse.com, it's already fixed in that version.

cu
Ludwig

--
(o_  Ludwig.Nussel@gmx.de