[vdr] Re: Easiest way for VDR 1.3x with Suse 9.2?

Ludwig Nussel wrote:

# yast -i vdr && rcdvb start && rcvdr start

I did that and.. nothing. How non-inspiring. No error messages and no
output on my television.

Check for vdr error messages on console 9 and in /var/log/messages

Thanks Ludwig, now I'm finally getting somewhere. Note to other beginning Suse users, you can get to console 9 by pressing ctrl-alt-f9, and back by pressing ctrl-alt-f7, from KDE that is. There's probably some way to attach a KDE Konsole to it as well, I guess?

There was one problem in that messages file related to DVB: dvb_ttpci: Unknown parameter vidmode:analog
The thing is, I have an S-video cable connected to the card, and when I recompiled the DVB driver myself I needed to make a change for "vidmode = CVBS_YC_OUT" in av7110.c. Now I think I made the equivalent change in YaST TV card configuration, but it doesn't seem the driver likes it.

(I did at some point download the latest DVB card firmware from thttp://www.linuxtv.org/download/dvb/firmware/ and put that in the hotplug directory, which may perhaps affect something. This was before I got Ludwig's info.)

Another reason why I don't get anything on TV is that VDR can't find the channels; channels.conf is for some other country. Now I'm a at a loss of what to feed it, it contains lines like this:

Das Erste:11837:h:S19.2E:27500:101:102:104:0:28106:1:1101:0

I have two different formats available, but neither looks the same or does it?

TV1:283:M128:C:5900:::0:0:17:0:0:0

and the other:

TV1:283000:C0M128:C:5900:512+128:650=eng:2321:1:17:0:1:0

I think this latter one is exclusively for VDR 1.3, or what? (They're for Finland.)

How am I supposed to control VDR? I want to control it via a keyboard at first,
and switch to LIRC a bit later, but mainly I'd just prefer it to work
somehow. Unfortunately Suse installation messed up my computer and I no
longer can boot Mandrake, so I've no working VDR at the moment..

Delete or rename /etc/vdr/remote.conf while vdr is not running. Next time vdr is loaded it should prompt you for key codes - you'll need to change to console 9 to allow input and control.

The default remote.conf has some keys bound already.

And it is documented somewhere which functionality is bound to which key, right? Channels.conf is not exactly readable. But no matter, I'll redo them anyway. At least when I get to LIRC stuff, where I use my Sony TV's remote via a serial receiver.

Ari Huttunen

Home | Main Index | Thread Index